Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Admiral's Jazz


I've recently come to experience that the adage "when it rains it pours" can sometimes go in a positive direction. I recently relayed how I acquired roughly 600 vinyl albums for $20; a collection I shall henceforth refer to as the 'great acquisition'. It has it's flaws, with a previous owner heavy on the magic marker, and a good portion of the music being classical - the least tolerable music for snaps and crackles. I've hardly put a dent in it as far as (cleaning and) listening goes, but I've certainly enjoyed myself.

I've also recently been performing in a 5 piece band that plays a weekly dance attended by senior citizens. The leader of that band, and a real good guy, is a former Rear Admiral of the Navy who, as it turns out, has in common with me an ear for good composition (imnsho) and likes jazz.

Long story short - one day he brought me to his car, opened the trunk and there was a banker's box full of pristine jazz vinyl. Turns out his wife wants him to clean house a bit, so I am now the proud owner of an immaculately kept (of course!) and pleasantly varied collection of piano and saxophone jazz (my friend is a trumpet player). Oscar, Zoot, Stan, Dave McKenna, Art Tatum & lots more, a handful are of significant value. Again - I've hardly scratched the surface listening thus far.



I've had some poor health the last few months - I'm feeling better now, but I'm thankful to God for these unusual blessings that have been like a warm tonic to my soul, and for the ones that are yet to come! - KM






Below is "Moonlight in Vermont" originally from the album "Reflections" pictured above.

No comments:

Post a Comment